Bond’s ‘small but perfectly formed’ team smashed it in the pool at this year’s Australian University Games, featuring in 23 swimming finals and bringing home 24 medals.
Bond’s top performers in the pool included:
- Alex Graham – Alex topped our medal tally with 5 golds and 1 silver. He was awarded the Gina Rinehart Swimming Excellence Scholarship in 2015 and is currently studying a Bachelor of Sports Management.
- Maddie Groves – Fresh from winning a silver medal at the Rio Olympics, Maddie brought home 4 gold and 1 bronze. Maddie was also awarded the Gina Rinehart Swimming Excellence Scholarship in 2015 and is currently studying a Bachelor of Social Sciences.
- Ella Bond – Ella scored 2 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze at this year’s Games. She is a member of the Bond Elite Sports Program (BESP), a Bond Excellence Scholarship recipient and is currently studying a Bachelor of Biomedical Science.
- Amy Forrester - Amy won 4 silver. The Bachelor of Journalism student was awarded the Gina Rinehart Swimming Excellence Scholarship in 2016.
- Sam Young – Sam won 3 silver. He also received the Gina Rinehart Swimming Excellence Scholarship recipient in 2016 and is currently studying a Bachelor of Interactive Media & Design.
- Soloman Wright – Soloman returns to campus with 1 silver and 1 bronze. The BESP athlete is currently studying a Bachelor of Laws.
Alex Graham and Amy Forrester were selected by Australian University Sport (AUS) for their Green and Gold merit team, which acknowledges, recognises and rewards outstanding sporting performance at an AUS event. It is the highest level of achievement awarded at the Australian University Games.
Meanwhile back on dry land, Juris Doctor student Kristoffer Diocampo had a brilliant Games, taking home a bronze in the men’s U90/100+kg (combined) Judo.
With the Games held in Perth this year, the University fielded a significantly smaller team than previously, which naturally impacted on our final scoreboard results, forcing us to release our stranglehold on the Doug Ellis Per Capita Trophy which we had won for the past three years.
Congratulations to the whole team on their multiple-medal winning performance!